ADSM-L

HSM and revision history.

2001-11-01 08:28:51
Subject: HSM and revision history.
From: Jeremy Greven <jgreven AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:27:28 -0500
Hi Everyone.

I'm using TSM 4.2.1.6, running on Win2k.  We are using the DiskExtender
product to allow for the 'near line' storage of all documents older than 18
months.  As we tend to generate many (1000+) documents on a daily basis HSM
is an ideal solution.

My question is this:  When a file meets the HSM criteria, it is pulled it
into Tivoli, and the filesize is set to 0kb as to show the file is 'near
line'.  When the incremental TSM job runs it sees this as a new file and
backs it up the newly created 0kb file.  This file should not be considered
a revision as nothing has changed.  I have that directory set to keep 2
revisions but I loose my second one as soon as HSM grabs it.  I don't want
to exclude it from my scope as the new documents generated daily need to be
backed up with revision history.

Is there any intelligent way to tell Tivoli that it already has a copy of
this file in HSM and not to back it up again?

Thanks

Jeremy