ADSM-L

Re: 3466 Support

2001-10-31 10:57:12
Subject: Re: 3466 Support
From: Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:54:20 -0500
Steve,

Sorry to be flippant, but welcome to the ultimate foobar (and lies) created by
IBM and Tivoli!!!

I am in the same boat.  For AIX support, go to IBM and for TSM support go to
Tivoli.  Updates for the 3466 specific code (scripts, etc.)? Good luck finding
someone at IBM or Tivoli to claim responsibility for this product.  Infact, I
have been told [by Tivoli] that with 4.2, you can kiss those unlimited licenses
that come with the 3466 good bye.  And, if you happen to upgrade TSM using the
version that is available on the website, expect problems because IBM made
changes to the code to make it work better that the GA version (check out some
of the server options; the values they have been set to don't exist).  I was
told to upgrade to 3.7.4 when I addded a 3583 library by Tivoli support and
when I had problems, they told me to talk to IBM AIX support and IBM AIX
support said no way because a separate AIX contract was needed.  My IBM sales
folks headed for the hills when I brought this issue up with them.  And,
Tivoli?  They just rolled up their eyes and essentially said "sorry, but too
bad so sad!", buy another system.

And, I am still at 3.7.4!!!!!  I cannot imagine what it's going to be like when
it comes time for 4.2 (if a version is available for the 3466)!!

Mahesh Tailor
WAN/NetView/TSM Administrator
Carilion Health System
Voice: 540-224-3929
Fax: 540-224-3954

>>> Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM 10/31/01 10:34AM >>>
We purchased a 3466 solution less than 2 years ago when we brought TSM in as
our Enterprise Backup Solution.  One of the biggest selling points was that IBM
handles all the maint/support issues with hardware/aix/tsm.  Our understanding
was that our maintenence cost covered aix as well as tsm upgrades as they
became available.  Now we are told that the move from 3.7.3.8 to 4.2.? is not
covered under that agreement so we can expect to shell out some significant
bucks.  Was anyone else out there surprised by this or are we the only ones who
didn't read the fine print?

Steve Schaub
Haworth, Inc
email: Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large