ADSM-L

Re: SQL Commands in the TSM DB

2001-10-31 10:52:04
Subject: Re: SQL Commands in the TSM DB
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:49:19 -0500
You can go to any bookstore that has computer books and find manuals on the
SQL language.  Or borrow one from a data base administrator.

The TSM data base is not an SQL (Sequel Server) data base; it's not even a
true relational data base; it's a proprietary format.  But there is the
interface that TSM provides so we can use a subset of the SQL LANGUAGE to
query the tables that TSM has externalized for us.  .

So if you go looking for books on the SQL language, you will find that most
of the commands do NOT apply to TSM, because the SQL language includes many
commands to CREATE, UPDATE, or ALTER and otherwise manage data bases, and
those commands don't work with TSM.  The only command available to us is
SELECT.

A lot of the SQL books in bookstores devote many pages to the OTHER
commands, and not very many pages to the SELECT, so it's just a matter of
finding one that you like.

One that I found helpful is "SQL FOR DUMMIES", by Allen G. Taylor - I don't
know if that's available where you are.  But there are also some helpful
tutorials out on the web - just search for SQL LANGUAGE.

Here is one:  http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm

It has a tutorial, and links to MORE SQL resources.

Hope that helps.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert