ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2.1.6 AIX 4.3.3.0

2001-10-31 10:39:11
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2.1.6 AIX 4.3.3.0
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:36:27 -0800
Henk,

I did not have this problem this morning but I can think of a similar
situation I'm in with q dr. There are times nothing comes back, the system
just sits there. Yesterday I issued a command to do a db backup with RMT1
online. Since nothing was going on it tried to use that drive I'm sure. Once
the command was issued the command line did not come back. Yet I queried the
activity log and the command was logged. Still the backup did not happen
because it tried to use RMT1.

Last week I had a specific volser that did not dismount. Since then RMT1,
which it was in, has not worked with TSM. I noticed TSM thinks that volser
was not in the library so I had to check it in even though it was never
removed. TSM has to be restarted each time RMT1 gets a process to do
something because I can't cancel the process, well I can but it still sits
there doing nothing. The only way to get out of it is to halt TSM and
restart.

The real strange thing is, since the 25th, I see an entry in the activity
log saying the dismount of that same volume has failed. Yet there is no
entry in the log that it tried to mount it in RMT1, except for the 25th, the
day it did not dismount. I've removed the drive and re-installed it, still
the same problem. THis volume has sucesfully been mounted and dismounted in
a different drive since this all happened.

I ran traces this morning and sent them off to TSM support. I also sent them
off to the IBM folks here that work on the hardware, maybe they can help
figure out what's going on. For the trace I took all the drives offline and
brought RMT1 online. I tried to do an audit vol on a volser. Nothing was
mounted, but I happened to notice in the act log TSM tried to mount a total
of 3 different tapes in that drive for the audit process. I would guess the
reason for this would be file overlap on other volsers, otherwise I'm
clueless.

>   Cheers,
>   Henk (still not amused)

Me either......