ADSM-L

Re: Server->Server Virtual Volumes (philosophical)

2001-10-30 16:37:32
Subject: Re: Server->Server Virtual Volumes (philosophical)
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:34:46 +1300
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 12:45:55PM -0500, Prather, Wanda wrote:
> I think backing up desktops is a good thing, but I wonder why are you
> backing up the System Object if you are only backing up the documents
> directories?  How could you restore the System Objects if you don't also
> back up/restore Program Files?

Haven't though about it too deeply, and my Windoze knowledge is about as
complete as the Taleban army, but saving the machine/user profile etc. would
be a reason. I don't think you can switch off System files and leave Registry
on.

> Also, have you considered turning on Subfile backup?

The problem isn't big files, but small ones, and lots of machines. Large files
('ala Virt Volumes and DB Spaces) get handled more efficiently on the LTO
drives.

Subfile backup will add another level of complexity for the field IT staff,
increase the database size and you have to deal with fragmented data restores
etc.
(and, I think, the database on the client is vital)

> Have you considered expanding your window?  We back up about 450 desktops
> (we back up EVERYTHING, not just My Documents), smallest have 4 GB hard
> disks, most have 12 - 18 GB hard disks.  We let them back up during the day,
> while the servers back up at night.

Our network is due for a big upgrade, were still using 155ATM. If I start
pumping significant data during the day and someone complains the network is
slow, the backup server gets blamed.

If I can't get this other server I might farm some clients during the day
to take the load off.

Cheers, Suad