ADSM-L

MVS TSM Backup of RAW FS (ie.open Systems)

2001-10-29 09:54:31
Subject: MVS TSM Backup of RAW FS (ie.open Systems)
From: "Tweedy, Rick" <Rick.Tweedy AT CCRA-ADRC.GC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:36:01 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am investigating the creation of an enterprise backup solution based on
both distributed NT TSM servers and a MVS TSM Server.  One of the key points
to my question is the fact that we will be using enterprise storage devices
that are accessible from both the MVS Side(via ESCON) and the NT side (via
Fibre Channel).  My question is:
Assuming MVS can take ownership of a NT LUN, that is actually a mirror
(broken) of a production LUN, can the TSM Server running on MVS backup this
LUN in a RAW format?  I understand that MVS will not be able to read the
file system but I figure it should be able to backup and restore the volume
RAW.  Does anyone out there have any information on this or pointers to
information on this in the documentation?

Thankyou for your help and time

Rick