ADSM-L

Re: Spill processing please help

2001-10-26 11:09:31
Subject: Re: Spill processing please help
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:03:38 -0400
+ -----Original Message-----
+ From: Doherty, John (ANFIS) [mailto:john.doherty AT ANFIS.CO DOT UK]
+ Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 10:21 AM
+ To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
+
+ Thanks Alan, this looks good.  This is very similar to the
+ problem we have.
+ For example I run migration on our 3 disk pools to clear them
+ down at 18:00,
+ 21:00 and 22:00 respectively.  they finish at 18:32, 21:30 and 22:30
+ respectively.  Can I assume any migration after 22:30 would
+ indicate spill
+ processing is occurring ??

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Any migration that you didn't
trigger yourself is due to your pool hitting the HIGHMIGPCT limit.

If your pool is filling up too often here is a little trick you may want to
try. Set your LOW migration threshold to 10% or so but leave your high
migration threshold at 90%. If tape contention with other users is not an
issue this will nearly empty the pool if any unscheduled migration is to
occur. (Setting low migration to ZERO during the backup window is not
recommended because as SOON as a file hits the disc pool it will migrate
causing lots of tape mounts!)
+
+ Also I may utilize the 1 GB file limit, but I assume that
+ every time a file
+ is greater than 1 GB then a tape mount would be requested ???

Yes, it will. But if you are using collocation like I am the amount of tape
mounts will be much less for the over sized files than if triggered
migration were to occur. Setting a max file size on the disc pool is one way
of reducing the frequency of triggered migration.

In a perfect world our disc pools would be large enough to hold everything
from a backup window but we all know that's not always possible. I'm afraid
the DASD Czar would come after me with sharp objects if I were to try to get
any more packs this month. (:

 Take care,
     Al

Alan Davenport