ADSM-L

40 NT servers suddenly failing

2001-10-25 15:49:36
Subject: 40 NT servers suddenly failing
From: "Adam J. Boyer" <Adam.J.Boyer AT FRB DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:45:34 -0400
A few days ago, about 40 NT/2000 clients failed to backup.  The error for
all of them was:

ANR2716E Schedule prompter was not able to contact client
                          CLIENT001 using type 1 (1.2.3.4 1501).

The clients are 4.2.0 and the server is 4.2.1.  Not only did they fail, but
the client scheduler also became useless and had to be stopped and
re-started on all of them.  This had happened in the past to one or two
servers occasionally, but this instance scared me.  I also should mention
that not all of our NT/2000 servers failed, but a lot of them did.

I haven't talked to the network admins yet, but my feeling is that if there
was a network problem, fine, the backups should fail.  But the client
schedulers shouldn't have needed to be stop-started.

adam