ADSM-L

TSM 4.2 on linux with german chars

2001-10-24 09:55:04
Subject: TSM 4.2 on linux with german chars
From: Oliver Sass <sass AT GW.SINO.UNI-HEIDELBERG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:37:21 +0200
Dear Members of the ADSM-List,

I back up our local server using TSM 4.2 on a Linux OS. I simply had
installed the client as a cronjob with the command:
export LANG=de_DE; /usr/bin/dsmc i
(executed by root)

our dsm.sys looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------snip
-------------------------------snip
SERVERname  example4
SERVERname  example4
ERRORLOGNAME "/var/log/tsm/dsmsched.err"
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1504
   TCPServeraddress   example.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

  NODEname      exampleserver

COMPression Yes

PASSWordaccess GENERATE
SCHEDMode PRompted
SCHEDLOGName /var/log/tsm/dsmsched.log
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 14
ERRORLOGRETENTION 14
LARGECOMmbuffers Yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------snip
-------------------------------snip
dsm.opt looks
dsm.opt looks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------snip
-------------------------------snip
lSErvername  example
lSErvername  example

DATEformat      4
NUMberformat    5
TAPEPrompt      No
* DOMAIN "/"
* DOMAIN "/boot"
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
* DOMAIN.IMAGE /
* DOMAIN.IMAGE /boot
SUbdir Yes
MEMORYEFficientbackup No
COMPRESSAlways Yesike this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------snip
-------------------------------snip
Everythings works fine, so far, the only problem is that local
charactersEverythings works fine, so far, the only problem is that local
characters are
not recognized, so that in the file dsmsched.err I get messages like this:

24.10.2001 03:34:46 fioScanDirEntry(): Object
'/usr/share/doc/sdb/de/html/keylist.WEIß.txt' contains unrecognized symbols
for current locale, skipping...

My question is, how to force the client backing up files with unrecognized
Characters, or who to teach the client special local charcter-settings.
As you can see above, the variable LANG is already set to de_DE...

Thank you very much in forward,
Oliver Sass

--
## Oliver Sass,