ADSM-L

Re: Lifespan of media

2001-10-22 22:33:50
Subject: Re: Lifespan of media
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:45:06 -0500
I can't find a machine in our shop to read a 5.25" floppy.  The lifetime of
the media sometimes exceeds the lifetime of the technology.  This is a
particular problem with very long term archival.  Even if the drive can
read the tape, the software needs to be able to interpret it, which TSM has
done pretty well with so far (but it is a proprietary format).

On another topic:  does anybody cycle their TSM tapes?  I suspect that the
"base" backup tapes for the operating system and other unchanging files
tend to not get reclaimed very often.  I know that I could do a query on
the volume for last write date and do a move data from the old tape, but
I'm curious to know if anyone out there does this.  Veritas and the rest
automatically cycle their tapes via their "expiration" process.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    "Joshua S.
                    Bassi"               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <jbassi@IHWY.        cc:
                    COM>                 Subject:     Re: Lifespan of media
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    10/22/2001
                    04:16 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

DLT is 3 years
3590 is 10 years
WORM is 100 years
CD - don't know, but a lot I would guess

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi