ADSM-L

Netware restores and backup sets

2001-10-22 10:32:28
Subject: Netware restores and backup sets
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:29:41 -5
W did a test full restore of a netware server.  The restore was
around 40gb and took 8 hours.  The Netware admins were disappointed
with this time.

To try and compare this time with something else, we  created a
backup set for the same server - it took 3 hours.

My take is that a backup set creation is the equivalent of a full
restore.  If the backup set can be created in 3 hours, then a full
server restore is possible in 3 hours - if you can get the data to
the server (network throughput) and the netware server can accept the
data (netware server write throughput).

Is this sound reasoning?  Thoughts?

Thanks

Rick