ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2.1

2001-10-22 10:31:39
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2.1
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:28:58 +0200
On 22-Oct-01 Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:

> For all those who are thinking of upgrading to 4.2.1, my opinion is don't. I
> have been up on it for 10 days and have already experienced 3 crashes. I
> also have a tape problem that I'm told was supposed to have been fixed. I
> have 2 PMR's open, both at level 2. I'm on AIX 4.3.3 and not sure if other
> platforms have had similar problems.

I agree, this level sucks completely. Server crashes at least 3 times a week
with internal errors (APAR IC31884), mount failed problems (if all drives are in
use), and last but not least, after a server restart, most of the private
volumes in the tape library becomes scratch, and scratch volumes becomes
private (APAR IC31691). So what happens is that if TSM asked for a scratch
volume, the Library Manager gives 95% of the time a private volume, thank God
TSM recognise this volume as one of his a private volumes, asked again for a
scratch volume, and on and on and on. So sometimes mount takes for hours. We use
now a script to get the Library manager in sync with the TSM server (i.e. change
the categories with mtlib). And we have a crontab entry which checks if our
server is still running, if not, the server will started.

Btw, the reason we went 2 weeks ago to 4.2.1 was that the 4.1.1 server did hang
at least 5 times a week, so we had to halt the server and restart it everytime
(symtoms were simple queries like q proc never ended, and cancel proc didn't
work at all).
And btw2, we run our "TSM-server" on AIX 4.3.3.0.

Cheers,
Henk (waiting for lot's of fixes)