ADSM-L

Re: 3590E1A vs IBM LTO

2001-10-21 13:58:19
Subject: Re: 3590E1A vs IBM LTO
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:55:31 -0500
Another issue to be aware of is "backhitch time".  When your data stream is
too slow, the drive has to stop, back up a bit, and continue writing.
Magstar drives excel at this, which is why they are touted for HSM and VTS
on the mainframe.  LTO drives are much poorer at this.  Most applications
for LTO are "write mostly", like straight backup.

Also, Magstar drives are more versatile.  They can be upgraded from one
tape density to another (B to E), you can change their interface from SCSI
to FC, etc.  Then can also be used in mixed mainframe/open environments.
LTO drives are generally locked into their original configuration (remains
to be seen what happens when next generation density comes out).

There is a performance paper out there somewhere on Magstar vs. LTO
performance.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc
630 357 7744 x338

                    Zosimo
                    Noriega              To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <znoriega@ADN        cc:
                    OC.COM>              Subject:     3590E1A vs IBM LTO
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    10/21/2001
                    04:36 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

We are planning to upgrade ADSM to TSM 4.1 and then currently we are using
3494 library with 4 3590B1A drives.
Then, we are looking to upgrade or replace the drives into 3590E1A or IBM
LTO.  Anybody can share from the experience using these drives.  and which
is the best in terms of performance, availability, cost, data transfer
rate,
capacity, etc.....  thanks a lot in advance.

reagrds,

Zosi Noriega
A D N O C
IST-ITD DMSS