ADSM-L

SIMPLE 3590/3494 sharing with 2 AIX/TSM(3466) boxes.

2001-10-19 19:04:00
Subject: SIMPLE 3590/3494 sharing with 2 AIX/TSM(3466) boxes.
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:01:19 -0700
I'm looking for a second opinion, caveats and any "we've been there
(and its good/bad)" about tape sharing .  Sharing that's NOT SAN stuff.

In speaking with a level 1 (1.5-2!) TSM/3466 support person about
something else, we got around to the topic of 3590's cabled to two systesm
and he said I could have all four tape drives (3590-E1A's) online to both
3466 NSMs and they will just go into POLLING mode until a drive becomes
available. AIX/TSM can play NICE-NICE with shared drives!!(??!)

And all I need to do is put 3494SHared Yes in both server options files.

Does this work?  Work well?  Any hang-ups? Crashes?  Gothchas??

As long as I scheduled things so that there's little or no drive
contention does it work?

thanks ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
  joef AT aracchio DOT net  COUNTDOWN: 148 days to my *first* retirement!!!
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633