ADSM-L

Re: WIN2k dsmsvc.exe handle count problem

2001-10-19 16:12:47
Subject: Re: WIN2k dsmsvc.exe handle count problem
From: Jeremy Greven <jgreven AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:22:00 -0400
Hi Len.

MS told me that all of the system resources were occupied by this process.
(dsmsvc.exe).

100% of the CPU and nearly all of the system memory.  Unfortunately there
is no way of limiting the amount of CPU occupied by a process hence I have
no way of guarding against this.

I haven't heard back from IBM yet today - hopefully they'll have some
answers by Monday as my server froze again this morning. :(

Jeremy

                    Len Boyle
                    <SNOLEN AT VM DOT SA        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    S.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: WIN2k dsmsvc.exe
handle count problem
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    10/19/2001
                    03:32 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

In article <OF597C76E3.D6DF6BDE-ON85256AEA.001719BC AT chubb DOT com>, Jeremy
Greven
<jgreven AT CHUBB DOT COM> says:

>Hi
>
>I am running TSM 4.2.1.3 on a Win2k box.  The server is freezing daily.
(i
>know i know.. put it on a different platform - I'm working on it)
>After investigation Microsoft they told me that the dsmsvc.exe process is
>taking 100% of system resources and that my system isn't actually frozen,
>but has no resources available to process any requests.  The only way to
>get it back is to physically power it down and reboot it.

Hello Jeremy

I have   tsm 4.1.4.2 running on windows nt 4.0 sp 5  and the current handle
count is 153,348 and I have seen it higher. The high  handle count, I
believe
went back to the 3.7 level of the software. This server normaly does not
get cycled  due to software problems, normaly only when we have to have th
stk  ce  work on the dlt7000 drives.

Did MS tell you which resources  were overrun and if you could increase
them.
len

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                          (919) 531-6241
Cary NC 27513