ADSM-L

Re: novell 5.1 bmr question - expert needed !

2001-10-19 11:17:58
Subject: Re: novell 5.1 bmr question - expert needed !
From: "Sisk, Lester" <Lester.Sisk AT CAROLINASHEALTHCARE DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:15:15 -0400
  I rebuild my servers bare bones to the Patch level of the crashed server.
Patch Level is VERY important since a lot of the system files are on the DOS
partition and not backed up by TSM.  Then restore ALL volumes.  You will
need the NREPAIR utility to recreate your encryption keys.  It can be
downloaded at http://support.novell.com/ <http://support.novell.com/> .  You
will have to search for it I think the current version is NREPAIR3.EXE.
Instructions are included with the download.  It is fairly simple.  The next
step is tricky since you must restore NDS references back to the server.
Search Novell's web site for the "DSMAINT -PSE" instructions.  NetWare 5.1
does not have DSMAINT.  I don't know if a similar function has been added
with NW51SP3 but it is does not work with SP2.  We are just beginning to
look at SP3 deployment  You have to have a 4.x server to put in your tree
until Novell ports this function into 5.1.
  I would not recommend TSM to anyone running a NetWare shop.   TSM's
support for NetWare is nonexistent.  The Tivoli client has made our servers
VERY UNSTABLE.  At least the memory leaks in Arcserve never ABENDED the
servers.  They do not know how their client works.  I believe they
outsourced it to another company and forgot how to contact them or did not
buy maintenance.  But we do pay them dearly for what little we get.  It is a
memory hog.  Expect to be adding large amounts of memory to your server so
it will back up and restore file in an expectable time frame.  (Directory
Cache Buffers are the needed resource.) You are right, it is very finicky
about its TSAs.  You will have to change them.  You can not use the SP2 or
SP3 TSAs.  Download TSA5UP7.EXE or you will not be able to get consistent
backups.
  I have no faith in the Tivoli company.  They burned that bridge with me at
the very beginning of our relationship.  We bought ADSM from IBM and things
were fine.  TSM is a nightmare.

Lester Sisk
Carolinas HealthCare System
Information Services - Server Team
lsisk AT carolinas DOT org <mailto:lsisk AT carolinas DOT org>