ADSM-L

novell 5.1 bmr question - expert needed !

2001-10-19 10:31:28
Subject: novell 5.1 bmr question - expert needed !
From: Herfried Abel <ha7 AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:17:51 +0200
Hi again,

we are thinking about a good way to restore our Novell 5.1 Servers in case
of  a complete system loss. Up to now our Novell admins uses CA ARCSERV to
backup the servers. In addition TSM clients are set up on all machines and
all volumes are backed up daily ( incremental forever ). They say that
there is nothing like a "mksysb" on the novell side and they need a tool
like ARCSERV to recreate the server.
So what they do now is :
1) recreate and restore server with ARCSERV
2) restore user files to last available version with TSM

We now face two problems :
1) Complete recreation takes a very long time as there are - let me say - 2
complete restores involved.
2) As ARCSERV also uses the same *NLMs as TSM does , we are always
upgrading, downgrading, comparing Versions  ..........

Is there a way to use more of TSM ( best would be TSM backup only ) to
restore a Novell 5.1 server from scratch ?
Are there other, stable "system backup tools" for Novell, that dont effect
TSM client requirements ?

Any hints are welcome

Thanks

herfried

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.