ADSM-L

Return Code Changes with V4.2.1 TSM Clients

2001-10-18 10:29:33
Subject: Return Code Changes with V4.2.1 TSM Clients
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:25:37 -0400
We need to make sure that TSM Development gets this right when they change
it.  Typically software is developed this way:

RC=0 is for when nothing goes wrong,
RC=4 nothing went wrong that is serious,
RC=8 serious failure condition,
RC=12 some kind of internal error.

What Tivoli needs to do is allow us to define what number of files (or
percentage of files)  not backed up cause a RC=4 based on the needs of some
of the customers and the same for RC=8.  I personally would like to see an
option that causes a RC=4 if a file misses a backup more than x number of
times in a row.  That way I can determine it is not happening and take
action to either place it in a separate backup process when it can be backed
up and exclude it from the timeframe it is not available to be backed up.

What does everyone think?