ADSM-L

exclude question

2001-10-15 16:11:32
Subject: exclude question
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT HERA.ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:41:55 -0500
Hi,

We are running ADSM Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.8 on an AIX 4.3.3.0 RISC
system. We have a subnet with all kinds of machines, Windows, Macs, AIX,
IRIX, and Linux. All these computers need to be backed up on the ADSM tape
library. It has been working fine for a few years, but I'm a new sys admin
here, I've discovered a small problem and I'd like to fix it but I can't
figure it out.

The EXCLUDE lists are not working. here is an exclude list for our
mac/windows clients that was created by the previous sys admin here. He
had been putting this dsm.opt file on all the machines:

ERRORLOGRETENTION 31
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 31
TCPSERVERADDRESS servername.itg.uiuc.edu
NODENAME CLIENTNAME.ITG.UIUC.EDU
PasswordAccess generate
DOMAIN C:
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\*.*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\...\*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\...\*.*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*.*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
Exclude "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
Exclude *:\...\pagefile.sys
Exclude *:\IBMBIO.COM
Exclude *:\IBMDOS.COM
Exclude *:\MSDOS.SYS
Exclude *:\IO.SYS
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.*
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*
Exclude "*:\...\Temporary Internet Files\...\*"

But I've discovered that the Temp interenet files are being backedup! So I
looked up the problem on this list and discovered that the
*:\...\Temporary Internet Files\...\* should have quotes around it. So I
did that but it is still not working. But then I thought maybe the ADSM
client does not read the dsm.opt file when running an incremental backup.

So I've got a couple of questions:

1) When does the ADSM client read the dsm.opt file on windows machines?
Only during a scheduled backup, or during a manual backup as well? For
example, when I do a manual backup and run the ADSM backup client on a
windows machine, and check a few boxes from the local filespaces, the
server will then backup everything within that filespace, and it doesn't
seem to exclude anything in the exclude list (dsm.opt file). That's what
makes me think that the scheduled backups must do something different that
forces a read of the dsm.opt file before it starts backing up stuff. Is
this correct? Or is there something wrong in my dsm.opt file? I'm
becking up a few machines tonight on a schedule so I'll find out tomorrow
morning if it backs up the temp internet files in a schedule backup.

2) The previous sys admin told me to put the dsm.opt file in both the
baclient and saclient directories. I understand what the dsm.opt file is
supposed to do, but I don't understand why there are copies in two
different directories. What are these two different directories about, and
why does the dsm.opt file need to be in both?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Alex Lazarevich
Systems Administrator
Imaging Technology Group, http://www.itg.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute, http://www.beckman.uiuc.edu
405 N. Mathews, Urbana IL  61801  USA
Ph: (217)244-1565 e-mail: alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu