ADSM-L

Mig process and number of tapes used

2001-10-15 13:04:36
Subject: Mig process and number of tapes used
From: "Martin JF (DTI)" <JF.Martin AT SPCUM.QC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:02:47 -0400
Hi *smers,

I have been running TSM V4.2 on a Windows 2000 server for a couple of months
now and since last week, I have been noticing something peculiar about TSM
migration. I have implemented daily TSM migration of disk storage pool on
tape last month but ever since october 03 , I have noticed that the
migration process is mounting and using 2 tapes simultaneously although the
initial tape is only 11 % full and is still in a "filling" state . Also,
please note that I verified the setting of the "migprocess" parameter in the
disk storage pool and the latter is set to 1.

I'm perplexed and I would like to know what triggered the simultaneous
utilisation of 2 tapes during TSM migration.

Does this situation arise as a result of a migration problem ? Or is this
how TSM operate normally during its migration process ?

I have also checked the disk storage pool volumes before and after a backup
and they never came close to being full. As a result, data should not be
written to a tape (during backup) except during the migration process.