ADSM-L

Backup clients via OPC (on OS390/MVS)

2001-10-12 10:08:11
Subject: Backup clients via OPC (on OS390/MVS)
From: Paul Van de Vijver <Paul.Van.De.Vijver AT HONDA-EU DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:45:38 +0200
It is the intention to initiate backups via OPC scheduler iso TSM scheduler
To do this I execute next command per client :

"Def Clientaction nodename Action=Incremental Wait=Yes"

This works fine as long as all clients are up and running

But when eg the TSM service on the client is stopped the backup job (in OPC) for
that client
remains active for ever although nothing happens. The rest of the backup jobs
will never start
because the first one is still 'busy'

I can drop the 'Wait=Yes' parameter, but then the backup job in OPC gets status
'done' although
the real backup on the client is still running for some time. Because this
'done' status OPC will
launch the other backup jobs causing overload on our network because all backups
will be running
at the same time.

Maybe I should - before actually starting the backup - run some command to check
if the TSM service
is running (and connection with client is up) and get some rc back to OPC job

Has anyone experience with this problem ?

Thanks for any hint.

Paul
Honda Europe NV
Belgium