ADSM-L

Re: Question about unload/dump db

2001-10-11 05:03:04
Subject: Re: Question about unload/dump db
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:00:17 +1300
On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:01:26AM +0200, Robert Ouzen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a little be confused about the difference between
>            1.    dsmserv unloaddb and dsmserv dumpdb

They both get the data off the database, then onto sequential media.
The difference is unloaddb will move the data in a database orderly way, dumpdb
will do it it page by page, sequentially.

>            2.    dsmserv loadformat and dsmserv format

loadformat is specific for the loaddb command, but can be used when doing a
restore db.

> And if the command to bring back the database will be dsmserv loaddb in any
> case.
>
> What the difference and benefit ?????..

Unload/load are, pretty much, the defrag utility for TSM. Restore is for
restoring it from being corrupt/whatever.

Cheers, Suad