ADSM-L

Problems accessing tape drives

2001-10-10 11:21:59
Subject: Problems accessing tape drives
From: "Lawson, Jerry W (ETSD, IT)" <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:19:10 -0400
Date:           October 10, 2001                        Time: 11:08 AM
From:   Jerry Lawson
                The Hartford Insurance Group
860     547-2960                jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
-
-
Help!
Help!

I just inherited an NT system, and it has problems.  The initial diagnosis
was that the disk storage pool was full, but the data would not migrate to
the tape pool.  Indeed, this was true - a very small DASD pool was 99% full.
There were 3 DLT tapes in the storage pool, each with lots of space on them
they had been written to initially, and each shows approximately .5% full,
but each is marked Unavailable.  The tapes are in a Compaq TL891DLX
Minilibrary.

If we mark the tapes as READWRITE, I get one of two different errors.  The
tapes will be mounted on one of the two drives (both have been selected),
they go through a longt "Calibrating" period (seems to be about 3 minutes),
and then the tapes are unloaded. The messages I receive are either ANS8355E
I/O error reading the label, or ANS8302E - I/O error on drive... This
message has additional data - OP=READ, cc=305, key=00, asc=00, and ascq=00.
There is also a long string of sense data.

I am confused, since the tapes have been written too, but now can't be read.
The whole setup is very new, so I am relatively certain the tapes are good
and the drives are clean.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

-
-
                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over....and expecting the results
to be different - Anon.

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
copies.