ADSM-L

Re: VM TSM server, just some thoughts...

2001-10-04 11:02:45
Subject: Re: VM TSM server, just some thoughts...
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:59:56 -0400
It's been quite a while since I've dabbled in mainframes, but i believe you
would have to license MVS (or OS/390, or is it z/OS now?) to run the OS/390
TSM Server.... by definition it runs under OS/390, right?

But if consolidation is the main goal, and Unix is the only platform being
consolidated, wouldn't it make more sense to use the new pSeries 690 as a
host platform?  It is supposed to support 16 LPARs.

Just my 2 cents...
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Laboratories

                    "Cook, Dwight
                    E (SAIC)"
                    <cookde AT BP DOT CO To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    M>            cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                                  Subject:
                    10/04/01             VM TSM server, just some thoughts...
                    10:11 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

OK...
The new IBM Z series processors are being pushed as consolidation servers.
        rum VM with a whole bunch of virtual LINUX servers...

The only TSM server for VM is functionally at 3.1.2
VM LINUX client is at 4.2  ( I don't know if 4.2 clients would talk to
3.1.2
server ?)

I do see there is an OS/390 TSM 4.2 server

Would a person have to run MVS under VM in order to have a TSM 4.2 server
running in this sort of environment ????????
        Uhmmm pay for MVS licenses just to get current TSM in a VM
environment :-(

maybe I need to get with my Tivoli sales folks to find out what is to be
available down the road
        maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet...

anyone have any thoughts on any of this ?????? :-)

Dwight