ADSM-L

NetWare server ABENDS on incremental backup

2001-10-04 10:15:10
Subject: NetWare server ABENDS on incremental backup
From: "Sisk, Lester" <Lester.Sisk AT CAROLINASHEALTHCARE DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:57:20 -0400
We ran a selective backup on 5 of our NetWare 5.1 servers.  After that the
servers would ABEND whenever the scheduled or a command line incremental
backup was issued.  After 3 months of working with TSM "support" I opened an
incident with Novell in June.  At first they said that since it was a third
party NLM causing the issue there was little they could do but would contact
TSM "support".  Last month (September 13th) they took the bull by the horns
and requested a core dump.  They found that the SERVDATA.NDS file had been
corrupted by the Selective backup.  The fix is to rename the SERVDATA.NDS
file.  When the TSM client loads again it loads the DSBACKER.NLM and
recreates the file.
Lester Sisk
Carolinas HealthCare System
Information Services - Server Team
lsisk AT carolinas DOT org <mailto:lsisk AT carolinas DOT org>

This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or
legally privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and
entity named as recipients in the message.  If you are not an intended
recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
material from any computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message,
and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the
information it contains.  Thank you.