ADSM-L

Re: TSM on WinNT

2001-09-30 07:44:59
Subject: Re: TSM on WinNT
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:42:38 +0300
A lot of development ?!? Which ones - journaling, sub-file backup or
something else.
IMHO journaling is only useful for filesystems with millions of small
files. Yes, this may help but is W2k specific. UNIX compensates with better
I/O throughput. And running any DB server on Windows for me is saving on
purchase to increase maintenance costs. But what if unstable server goes
down several times and has to be restored more often than a reliable UNIX
box.
Sub-file backup is implemented only in Windows because it is most used
platform for mobile users. Maybe soon we will have this functionality also
on Mac and/or Linux. But does anyone move a server constantly to locations
with only dial-up access?

It would be interesting to see what is the installed base for each
platform. Some of the subscribers to the list already have shown what they
do have (or plan to install).

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM> on 29.09.2001 00:07:51