ADSM-L

SAP backup

2001-09-25 11:14:55
Subject: SAP backup
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:10:47 -0700
Seems as though the SAP backup test last night worked....sort of, I'm just a
bit confused. For those of you who don't know me, that's normal.....

What I see is my archive disk pool with data in it from that node. That's
not where I wanted it to go and I don't know why it did, I expected it to go
direct to tape. I don't see any mounts for tapes during this period, except
reclamation. The node did have 4 sessions that started and I thought maybe
it was going to tape and disk but since I don't see the tape mounts I doubt
it.

Is it normal for this backup process to use the archive copy group settings
and not the backup copy group? Can anyone help me a bit as to what I need to
change to go direct to tape? About a year ago we tested this once and I
remember it had gone to tape. Unfortunately I don't remember making any
changes that would now cause a backup to go to disk.

How do I control the number of versions of data out there. This database if
going to be huge and it could get out of hand very easily. If it's notmal
for this to use the archive copy group, would I use the retain version
setting to control it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator