ADSM-L

Re: volume status being changed erroneously

2001-09-24 11:29:12
Subject: Re: volume status being changed erroneously
From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:26:28 -0500
Maybe the tapes don't have proper internal labels.  Look at the LABEL
LIBVOLUME command.
Jim Sporer

 At 10:11 AM 9/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
TSM Gurus,

I found several reference to my problem in the archive but, did not find an
explanation or a real fix for it.  If I over looked it, I will shamefully
take the time-out chair in the corner.

Our TSM environment is relatively new (< 6 mos).  We are running 4.1.3
server on AIX 4.3.3 ML6 with a 3583 LTO library.

The clients are all 4.1.3 AIX and NT.  A few TDP clients for Exchange, M$SQL
and DB2 on AIX.

The problem is that I keep seeing several of my scratch volumes' status
being changed from "scratch" to "private" and the "last use" column is
blank.  The first time I noticed this it was suggested, by our Business
Partner, that the tapes were probably checked in improperly.  I checked them
out and then back in as scratch.  Within the last two weeks I recall seeing
several consecutively labeled volumes again with a status of "private" and
no "last use".    Again I changed their status back to scratch.  This
morning I see the same thing with the same group of tapes.  I also happened
to catch it in the activity log, stating that there were I/O errors on these
volumes and the status change was to prevent re-access.

If it were one or two tapes, I could accept it.  But the fact that these
seven tapes represent roughly 30% of the library's current population AND
the fact that they are consecutively numbered AND have never previously been
used, to me can't be explained as coincidental.  The tapes and the labels
arrived separately.  So we can dismiss a error at the factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

David Taylor
Senior Software Systems Engineer