ADSM-L

Re: tape drive fight problem

2001-09-20 11:19:05
Subject: Re: tape drive fight problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:19:37 -0400
>Is there a way to limit the use of tape drives for different process like
>reclamation, migration or for different storagepools. We have dozens storage
>pools defined and has one 3494 with 4 tape drives and they fight for drives,
>we defined several device classes and mount limit are set to 'DRIVE'.

Phillip - You didn't specify, but it sounds like you are running such
          maintenance tasks via administrative schedules...which inherently
contend for resources when multiple of them happen to be running at once.
You gain more control by folding your daily maintenance tasks into one or
more schedule-started server scripts, where you can serialize invocation of
the contained maintenance tasks to assure appropriately limited used of
server resources.

   Richard Sims, BU