ADSM-L

TSM on AIX question.

2001-09-19 07:43:22
Subject: TSM on AIX question.
From: "Brian L. Nick" <BRIAN.NICK AT PHOENIXWM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:41:05 -0400
Good morning everyone.

 I have been asked to look into possibly moving our TSM 4.1.3 server on
OS/390 to an AIX box. I would appreciate any information that you can
provide. Here is our existing OS/390 TSM server set up.

 TSM 4.1.3 on OS/390 2.10 backing up the following clients AIX, NT, Novell,
Win95, Win98, OS/2 (no not a misprint), OS/390 USS and SunSolaris. We are
moving about 280GB over night and we then execute the storage pool copies,
expiration and reclamation during the day. Some of our Domino clients (no
we are not using TDP) take about 20 - 23 hours to backup. The TSM data base
is currently 37.5GB and running at 78% utilization. Our primary storage
pools are 70GB, 13GB, 5GB and 1GB. We have 8 STK 9840 cartridge drives in a
Powderhorn  Silo and are using RMM to manage tapes and are running
migrations at night along with the backups. I know that it would be faster
to stage everything to DASD and then migrate to tape but I do not have the
DASD capacity to accomplish this..

 My question is how large would my AIX box need to be to accomplish these
same backups more efficiently?

 Any input is appreciated.

 Thanks,
   Brian

Brian L. Nick
Systems Technician - Storage Solutions
The Phoenix Companies Inc.
100 Bright Meadow Blvd
Enfield CT. 06082-1900

E-MAIL:  Brian.Nick AT phoenixwm DOT com
PHONE:   (860)403-2281