ADSM-L

Bare Metal Restore sizing.

2001-09-17 13:35:37
Subject: Bare Metal Restore sizing.
From: Eduardo Martinez <mcjeduardo AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:36:14 +0200
Hi All.

Has anyone of you ever sized an BMR solution?
I have several doubts about it.

A) Space requirements for BMR software installation

TKG says the following:

"The BMR server requires 4 megabytes of disk space plus approximately 1
KB of disk space for every 2 clients.  Each Boot image on the Boot
Server will require 100 to 800 KB of disk space."

How much space am I going to need for each boot image?
Is a boot image created for each of my clients? if so, am BMR is going
to backup a boot image each time the client is backed up? in this case
I have to calculate the space on disk according the backup policies for
each one of my clients.
or
am I going to create ONLY one boot image per platform I 'm going to
backup (one image for SUN, another for NT, another for AIX)? This way
I'm going to use much less space than the above scenario.
How often are the boot images refreshed? How BMR is going to realize
that a client has upgraded its OS, when others have not?

B) Shared Root Tree

For the SRT TKG states: "Each Shared Root Tree (SRT) on the File server
will require 200 to 400 MB of disk space".

The same questions as above. Is a SRT created each time a client is
backed up?

I've calculated the space Im going to need considering I have 6 clients
(2 sun, 2 aix and 2 NTs), also that I only need one boot image per
platform (3 in this case), and also one SRT per platform too.
This makes a total of 606 MB.
Are this calculations right?

BMR Server
BMR Server      1       4MB