ADSM-L

tsm raw backup with JFS filesystem

2001-09-10 07:50:37
Subject: tsm raw backup with JFS filesystem
From: "Dachnowicz, Peter (IBM)" <DACHNOWP AT APTEA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:55:57 -0400
We are trying to optimize some of our backups and wanted to experiment with
backuping up JFS filesystems using backup image. Our thought process was
that by bypassing the overhead of the JFS we could decrease the backup
window. However we are told that one of the rules for TSM (ver 3.7) is that
if the filesystem is not configured as raw at the LVM level backup image
will not work. Is this correct? Is there away around this? How much overhead
is actually affiliated with the JFS?
Thank you for your time
Peter A. Dachnowicz
dachnowp AT aptea DOT com