ADSM-L

Re: Client for VMS on a Digital Alpha box

2001-09-03 11:45:56
Subject: Re: Client for VMS on a Digital Alpha box
From: MORGAN TONY <TONY.MORGAN AT FORTISBANK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:35:19 +0200
Hi David,

There is an Add-in for TSM/VMS backups, but I believe its a 3rd party
product... I'm sure that someone will respond on that....

But... As a VMS System Manager for many years, I would suggest that you
ensure that your backup regime includes regular OpenVMS Image backups,
preferably Standalone Backups (Bare metal recovery since the 1980's!!),
using the VMS backup command set.  Or at least a
"Backup/image/ignore=interlock".
Backup on VMS is a superb tool, but if you need more control I can recommend
"Tapesys" from SP32/Inc, which uses hooked native VMS Backup, which can be
restored from the VMS command line... pretty useful.
(Tivoli would do well to look at this product... The will get some ideas
about how a backup product should be - ie. Built in Report Writer)

I hope that this helps..
PS.  I am a fan, I have no other interests in Tapesys or OpenVMS.

Rgds.

Tony Morgan
Fortis Bank SA/NV
London