ADSM-L

Re: Cannot delete tape in empty status... media state is incorrect

2001-08-30 14:28:14
Subject: Re: Cannot delete tape in empty status... media state is incorrect
From: "<James> <healy>" <James.Healy2 AT AXACS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:29:36 -0400
Try doing a checkout remve=no on the tape and then check it  back in as a
scratch

"David Longo" <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 08/30/2001
01:40:55 PM

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:

Subject:  Re: Cannot delete tape in empty status... media state is
      incorrect

Try this command:

move media * stg=archlog_tape wherestate=mountablenotinlib
wherestatus=empty

Thjis should only take a few seconds.  Lokk in actlog to see that it worked
correctly.  Tape should bve "Scratch" after this.  (NOTE: not sure what
happens  if tape is actually in library, we do this for tapes out of
library.)
Double check, may have to manually move tape out and check back in
as scratch.

David Longo

>>> Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM 08/30/01 11:19AM >>>
Here's a puzzle for you all...
I just yesterday upgraded from TSM 3.7.3.0 to 4.1.4.1 on AIX 4.3.3.  All
went well, and I haven't seen any problems except for this: I discovered a
tape in my library that is EMPTY, but it has not been changed to scratch.
Details of this tape's status are below.

If I try to update the status to scratch (upd liv atl dbr086 stat=scr), I
get this:
08/30/01   11:13:05 ANR8443E UPDATE LIBVOLUME: Volume DBR086 in library ATL
cannot be assigned a status of SCRATCH.

If I try to delete it (del vol dbr086), I get this:
08/30/01   11:15:08 ANR1425W Scratch volume DBR086 is empty but will not be
deleted - volume state is "mountablenotinlib".
As you can see below, the media state according to Q MEDIA is MOUNTABLE IN
LIBRARY, yet the delete fails because it is MOUNTABLE NOT IN LIBRARY.

It looks to me like my database is somehow corrupted.  Anyone have an idea?

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Laboratories

Q VOLUME DBR086
                    Volume Name: DBR086
              Storage Pool Name: ARCHLOG_TAPE
              Device Class Name: DLT
        Estimated Capacity (MB): 0.0
                       Pct Util: 0.0
                  Volume Status: Empty
                         Access: Read/Write
         Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
                Scratch Volume?: Yes
                In Error State?: No
       Number of Writable Sides: 1
        Number of Times Mounted: 59
              Write Pass Number: 1
      Approx. Date Last Written: 08/20/00   09:48:14
         Approx. Date Last Read: 08/15/01   13:35:39
            Date Became Pending:
         Number of Write Errors: 0
          Number of Read Errors: 0
                Volume Location:
 Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
          Last Update Date/Time: 08/29/01   15:14:04

Q LIBVOLUME ATL DBR086
   Library Name: ATL
    Volume Name: DBR086
          Owner:
       Last Use:
   Home Element: 402
 Cleanings Left:

Q MEDIA DBR086 STG=*
           Volume Name: DBR086
                 State: Mountable in library
 Last Update Date/Time: 08/17/01   17:14:40
              Location:
     Storage Pool Name: ARCHLOG_TAPE
     Automated LibName: ATL
         Volume Status: Empty
                Access: Read/Write
   Last Reference Date: 08/15/01   13:35:39

Q DRMEDIA DBR086
 ANR2034E QUERY DRMEDIA: No match found using this criteria.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 08/30/01 13:47:26
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.