ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB/Disk Pool - Disk tuning question

2001-08-30 13:16:59
Subject: Re: TSM DB/Disk Pool - Disk tuning question
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:17:21 -0500
IMHO,

1) there is no need to have multiple ADSM volumes, one big volume fine. The
real P&T work comes in creating the LV and where it is placed on your disks. I
would recommend a striped LV or RAID 0. You want every disk spinning on every
disk access.

Example:

I have a separate VG for my disk storage pool:
unxr:/u/purdym>lsvg ADSMSTG1vg128
VOLUME GROUP:   ADSMSTG1vg128            VG IDENTIFIER:  0000810719cb0ada
VG STATE:       active                   PP SIZE:        128 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION:  read/write               TOTAL PPs:      407 (52096 megabytes)
MAX LVs:        256                      FREE PPs:       0 (0 megabytes)
LVs:            2                        USED PPs:       407 (52096 megabytes)
OPEN LVs:       2                        QUORUM:         2
TOTAL PVs:      1                        VG DESCRIPTORS: 2
STALE PVs:      0                        STALE PPs:      0
ACTIVE PVs:     1                        AUTO ON:        yes
MAX PPs per PV: 1016                     MAX PVs:        32

(Or at least make a separate jfs log, if your using filesystems.)

Here is the LV, built on a RAID 0 array:

LOGICAL VOLUME:     stg1_lv                VOLUME GROUP:   ADSMSTG1vg128
LV IDENTIFIER:      0000810719cb0ada.1     PERMISSION:     read/write
VG STATE:           active/complete        LV STATE:       opened/syncd
TYPE:               jfs                    WRITE VERIFY:   off
MAX LPs:            4096                   PP SIZE:        128 megabyte(s)
COPIES:             1                      SCHED POLICY:   parallel
LPs:                406                    PPs:            406
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      relocatable
INTER-POLICY:       minimum                RELOCATABLE:    yes
INTRA-POLICY:       middle                 UPPER BOUND:    32
MOUNT POINT:        /ADSM                  LABEL:          /ADSM
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes

Then I have a filesystem called: ADSM on the stg1_lv LV.

I do have several files for the storage pools, but not required. ie:
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   16777216000 Aug 30 08:47 DISKDATA_001
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   4294967296 May 24 09:21 DISKDATA_002
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   4294967296 May 24 09:21 DISKDATA_002
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   16777216000 Aug 29 18:26 DISKDATA_003
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   16777216000 Aug 29 18:26 DISKDATA_003
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   16462643200 Aug 30 08:47 DISKDATA_004
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   16462643200 Aug 30 08:47 DISKDATA_004
So each of these files is spread across 6 disks. ie:
So each of these files is spread across 6 disks. ie:
unxr:/>lspv
hdisk0         00011396709bb8ba    rootvg
hdisk1         00008107709be3f9    rootvg
hdisk2         00011396709b5f71    rootvg
hdisk3         00011730709b60a4    rootvg
hdisk4         0000810758479e5e    ADSMDBvg128
hdisk5         000081075847982a    ADSMSTG1vg128
hdisk6         0000810734713709    ADSMvg128
hdisk7         00008107efe4a35a    ADSMvg128
root@unxr:/>ssxlate -l hdisk5
ksh: ssxlate:  not found.
root@unxr:/>ssaxlate -l hdisk5
pdisk0 pdisk3 pdisk4 pdisk5 pdisk6 pdisk7

2) Again use striped LV's or RAID 0 and then you don't have to worry about
this. Or, if you have the right size disks, use RAID 1.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG 30-Aug-01 9:27:04 AM >>>
>>> David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG 30-Aug-01 9:27:04 AM >>>
I have TSM Server 3.7.4.0 on AIX 4.3.3.  I am going to be redoing my disk
storage for this machine and have basically two questions. if someone
knows the details of how this works.

1.  The Disk Storage pool I have is 110GB.  Most of the time it is between
20 and 70 percent full - mostly less than 50 percent.  If I have this split
into say 10 volumes, each on a separate hard disk, does most of the
activity stay on the lower volumes and rarely on the higher ones?

Logically I see this as a coffee cup with a slow leak.  The bottom is
almost always wet, the top rarely.  Is my assumption correct?

Basically I would spread the volumes over the hard disks to even out disk
access.

2.  Same basic question about TSM DB.  It is 13GB and 65% utilized.  I imagine
like a regular database it is spread out over the 13GB and has
more or less even access if spread out over several disks.  Correct?

(With my current system the way everything is laid out now I can't use
things like "iostat" to prove/disprove this, and I didn't seem to find this
"specific" topic mentioned in manuals.)

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 08/30/01 10:33:23
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidentiThis
message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.