ADSM-L

Re: Long Filename Error

2001-08-28 19:09:16
Subject: Re: Long Filename Error
From: Andrew Raibeck <araibeck AT US.TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:10:29 -0700
Bill, are you referring to a NetWare short-too-long file name conversion
issue?

I am not aware of any problems on NT -- especially any that would cause an
abort -- with regard to handling longer file names (greater than 259
characters) once you have the fix for IC27346 in place. The only caveat is
that USEUNICODEFILENAMES NO must be specified in the dsm.opt file for long
file name support to work. Perhaps that is Kelil's problem?

The issue with long file names is documented in APAR IC27346, and was
fixed in a 3.7.2 fixtest, and 4.1.1 and up. You just need to be sure you
have USEUNICODEFILENAMES NO in dsm.opt. The 3.1 Windows client never
handled the long file names correctly.

For more info on this, you can search the ADSM-L archives at www.adsm.org.
Just use a search criterion of "IC27346" (without the quotes), and you
should find the appropriate information.

Kelil, if you are using USEUNICODEFILENAMES NO and the backup is actually
aborting with a message about long file names, you should contact
IBM/Tivoli support for assistance. Actually, you should contact them
regardless of the USEUNICODEFILENAMES setting, since TSM should just skip
the long file names if the option is not set to NO; it should not cause an
abort.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems
Internet e-mail: araibeck AT us.ibm DOT com

The command line is your friend.

William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>
08/29/2001 00:58