ADSM-L

I don't think she can hold much more Captain! She's gonna blow! (IBM LTO Tape)

2001-08-28 18:49:01
Subject: I don't think she can hold much more Captain! She's gonna blow! (IBM LTO Tape)
From: Jim Taylor <jtaylor AT ENLOGIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:47:29 -0700
How much can these 100GB native tapes hold?

Can I really be getting this kind of compression?

Half a TB on one tape?  Anyone else seeing this?

My real issue is with the Status.  It says that the tape is still filling,
yet its Pct Util is only at 95%.

I don't get this.  I thought that a tape get to 100% full and the Est Cap
keeps increasing until EOT is met.  At which time the Status changes to Full
and the Pct Util can then drop from 100% as the data on the tape expires.

Have I been wrong???

tsm: TSM-D2>q vol

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct   Volume
                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util   Status
                                                        (MB)
------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----
--------
--------
/tsm/tsmstg/disk-vol01    DISKPOOL     DISK          5,000.0   30.5  On-Line
/tsm/tsmstg/disk-vol01    DISKPOOL     DISK          5,000.0   30.5  On-Line
A00000                    TAPEPOOL     LTOTAPE     100,000.0    7.2  Filling
A00007                    TAPEPOOL     LTOTAPE     204,800.0    2.6  Filling
A00023                    TAPEPOOL     LTOTAPE     384,482.9   65.0    Full
A00031                    TAPEPOOL     LTOTAPE     398,471.2   64.4    Full
A00035                    TAPEPOOL     LTOTAPE     537,664.2   85.3  Filling

tsm: TSM-D2>