ADSM-L

Re: Slow Restores on Netware

2001-08-28 09:52:40
Subject: Re: Slow Restores on Netware
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:53:33 -0400
>Is it me or is a restore of Netware data slow?  I get at best 5.6g
>per hour off of a 21g per hour drive.  TSM backs it up fast but takes
>way to long to restore.  Does anyone else have this problem and if so
>what do you do?

It's you.  :-)
Seriously, though, we'd need a lot more information to gauge why
the restorals are slow, as has been explored innumerable times on
the mailing list...  Tape drive type, collocation type and locality
of data relative to restoral needs, restoral type, networking,
disk speed, file system condition, client/server load, etc.
(I summarize factors in the "Restoral performance" entry in
ADSM.QuickFacts.)  Identifying bottlenecks is one of the tasks
for which we all get paid so much.  :-$

   Richard Sims, BU