ADSM-L

Re: Policy for TDP Exchange v2.2

2001-08-27 14:08:10
Subject: Re: Policy for TDP Exchange v2.2
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:09:51 -0400
> I'm in the process of setting up TDP v2.2.  I'm looking for some
> clarification on the values needed.  Right now I'm running a weekly full
> backup & incremental backups the rest of the week.  If I want to keep 3
full
> backup sets.  Do I need to set the Version data exists to 3 & the retain
> extra & only versions to 18?

Bruce,

Keep in mind that incremental backups have a unique data and time stamp
and will only "expire" when the associated "full" backup expires.
So if you are using the "Full + incrementals" scheme, you only
really need to base the policy on the full backups.

But, you should also consider basing your retain extra versions on
the numbers of days to keep, not necessarily the number
of versions. That way, it will enable you to do addhoc backups
and not interfere with how long you can recover back to.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono