ADSM-L

Delete volhist question

2001-08-25 08:50:45
Subject: Delete volhist question
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:37:05 -0400
All-

The answer to this is probably obvious, but I never thought about the
question until recently.

As a routine practice, we have always set up TSM servers to do a "delete
volhist type=dbb" (for machines not using DRM) to get rid of entries for
old database backups...pretty standard so far.

My question: Is it recommended to also get rid of old entries for things
like "stgnew", "stgreuse" and "stgdelete"?

If you have a machine which has been in use for some long period of
time, where your backup copygroup values (verexists, verdeleted, etc)
are set to "nominal" values (say, for example 5,1,30,60), but some of
the archive retentions are set to longer periods (say, 3650, or 10
years), what is the effect of (today) doing a "delete volhist
type=stgnew todate=01/01/2000"?

TIA...

-Lloyd
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267