ADSM-L

Re: how to get rid of OLD ACTIVE file backups

2001-08-23 07:11:26
Subject: Re: how to get rid of OLD ACTIVE file backups
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:12:56 -0400
Hello Again,
        One of the things I forgot to mention was I do a FULL backup,
(change the copymode to ABSOLUTE), of every node every two weeks.  I don't
do them all at the same time but because I do the fulls I would expect that
I would not be finding backup files that are 120 days old and ACTIVE.  I
have only had TSM up since the beginning of the year and am very hesitant to
start reclaimation  procedures thinking that if everything worked the way I
think they should (longest retention in any policy is 60 days) that I would
see ALL the tapes go scratch less than 3 months.  I am trying to prevent my
lack of knowledge from putting in a procedure that will just start gathering
junk and keeping it forever.
        The BMC TDP seems to have a very odd error.  The AIX platform from
where the BMC (Sybase) is running has deleted the data and looking from BMC
it is gone.  But when I look at the TSM server filespace I see many properly
handled BMC files being handle correctly but little groups (by date) of
files that are listed as ACTIVE but 4 and 5 months old.  I do not have this
problem with the MS-EXCHANGE or DB2 files.
        I would like to develop a procedure that I can use to cleanout the
backup files that I know don't belong.  Ones that are ACTIVE and many months
old.  I don't really understand how they can get into this situation.  Even
if someone where to do a SELECTIVE backup of something that is normally
EXCLUDED the next INCREMENTAL should have those files marked as INACTIVE.
Matt