ADSM-L

ntuser.dat

2001-08-21 10:08:01
Subject: ntuser.dat
From: brian welsh <brianwelsh3 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:54:22 +0200
Hello *sm-ers,

I know it was on the list before, but there was no answer for the problem I
encounter by restoring a Windows NT 4.0-client-node. Server is AIX 4.3.3.
Client is Windows NT 4.0, SP6a, TSM 4.1.1.0

I'am, what they say, a newbee, to TSM and testing the recovery-procedure set
up by the tsm-administrator who left the company last month. Procedure was
set up with Redbook SG24-2231-00 using adsm.sys.

Here the procedure:
I install NT in a new dir (winnt.temp)
I install TSM Client (winnt.temp\adsm.temp)
Make a connection with the TSM-server and restore to location c:\ and
choose complete path. Restore is no problem.
Copy c:\adsm.sys\registry\machine_name\machine\*.*
c:\winnt\system32\config
Copy c:\adsm.sys\registry\machine_name\users\default
c:\winnt\system32\config

But then I have to restore the ntuser.dat. The Redbook is telling that in
c:\adsm.sys\registry\machine_name\users\'NAME' directory must contain two
files, which have to be renamed to ntuser.dat en ntuser.dat.log. In
directory c:\adsm.sys\registry\machine_name\users\'NAME' there is only one
file that's look like S-1-5-21-141-....To me it looks like a kind of
registry key.

During test I did nothing with that file and after a reboot, everything was
restored, EXCEPT the profile of the user (ntuser.dat).

Can someone, please, tell me why I am having a file that looks like
S-1-5-21-141... and not the two files described in the book and how can I
recover my ntuser.dat with that file?

Are there *SM-administrators who will share their recovery-procedure(s) for
NT-clients with me?

Thank you.

Brian

Download MSN Explorer gratis van http://explorer.msn.nl/intl.asp