ADSM-L

Win 2K anomolies

2001-08-17 14:39:27
Subject: Win 2K anomolies
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:36:48 -0400
   One of our NT servers is running Windows 2000 and TSM 4.2.  It is scheduled
to run and incremental backup nightly, and every night reports "failed".  After
looking into it as much as we can, we've determined the following:
 - The "failed" is a result of 4 unsuccessful attempts to backup opened files.
The 7 opened files are related to the logged on user, and the system registry.
When we look at other servers in our system running Windows NT 4.0 with TSM
4.1.1, these files are backed up into an c:\ADSM.SYS folder.  This folder does
not exist in the Windows 2000 server.  Furthermore, when we run the gui for TSM
4.2 on the Win 2K server, there's nothing in the System Objects.  I believe
that should contain the registry data.
   We're in the process of upgrading approximately 50 servers from Windows NT
to Windows 2000.  Neither excluding these files, nor viewing 50 log files to
verify successful backups are desirable