ADSM-L

Re: Need different files backuped on same Unix client.

2001-08-14 15:35:30
Subject: Re: Need different files backuped on same Unix client.
From: Andrew Raibeck <araibeck AT US.TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:35:22 -0700
I would definitely not recommend swapping include/exclude lists, as the
results are bound to be undesirable. The main reason is because EXCLUDE
not only excludes files from backup, but also expires any existing backup
versions of the excluded files.

If you are looking to back up only a directory (or handful of
directories/files) during the week, then you might try this:

1) Define an incremental backup schedule that runs only on Sunday to back
up the entire machine.

2) Define a second backup schedule (incremental or selective, depending on
your needs) that runs on week-days, but also add the desired directories
to the OBJECTS setting in the schedule. For example:

   OBJECTS="/mylogs/"

or

   OBJECTS="/mylogs/ /otherdir/*.log"

etc.

If you need to process subdirectories, then add the -SUBDIR=YES option to
the OPTIONS setting in the schedule.

Don't exclude any files in your include/exclude list, unless they are
files that you *never* want to back up.

Now the week-day schedule will back up only the files specified in the
schedule's OBJECTS setting, and the week-end schedule will process the
entire system.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems
e-mail: araibeck AT us.ibm DOT com

The command line is your friend.

Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT servergraph DOT com>
08/14/2001 12:03
Please respond to lmorris