ADSM-L

Off Topic 3494 question.

2001-08-14 01:31:22
Subject: Off Topic 3494 question.
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:29:57 +1000
Those of you who are not interested please excuse the off topic post - this
forum is the best source of 3494 information around.

I have an AS400 connected to two drives in the 3494 which I theoretically
control. I use the other two drives for TSM on an RS6000.  This AS400 is not
configured to communicate with the library and they are having trouble doing so
- for the last 9 months.  They back up by opening the library and inserting
tapes directly into the drives.

This manual activity is causing much grief, both to the mechanics of the
library and various logical problems that it causes.

To circumvent the problem, I would like to use the "Stand Alone Device"
facility of the library to set up their drives as autoloaders.  I can arrange
that their tapes are automatically assigned to a library category on insert,
the first tape is automatically loaded and the category changed on dismount.
The only other problem to solve is how to eject all of the tapes in the
dismounted category on demand from the library console.

e.g. tapes come in as category 100 and change to 101 on dismount.  How do I
eject all category 101 tapes from the library console.  I know that I could use
MTLIB from my box to do it, but there is lots of politics and several levels of
outsourcing involved here so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

If you have any ideas, or know of a better place to ask, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.