ADSM-L

thoughts on 4.1 server vs. 4.2 server?

2001-08-10 10:37:38
Subject: thoughts on 4.1 server vs. 4.2 server?
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO DOT US>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:46:12 -0500
Hello, *SMers

We will be purchasing TSM (again) shortly, and wondered if/how many are
using the 4.2 server.  We have 12 TSM servers & all but one are at
3.7.4.5, the other one is at 4.1.3.0.  We will also be purchasing 12 M80s
to replace the 10 J40s and 2 winterhawks (and another 6-drive 3494 and
ditching 10 3575s).  The software will be here before the hardware will
be, so we would like to take care of all the things *SM before rolling to
new hardware.

We don't have a test environment to play any of this out... everything we
do will be to live, production TSM servers (yes, ye-haw!).  It would save
us time and steps if we could just go up to 4.2 on all the server versions
(all clients work with a 4.2 server)-- but only if it is relatively
stable.  I know there is a new maintenance level for 4.2 out, so that
makes me feel a little more confident than going to straight-base-level
code.

How many of you are at 4.2, was it painful, and is it stable?  Or, should
I just go to 4.1.4.0 and wait for the stability in 4.2-- after I have
moved over to the new hardware?

thanks in advance!

lisa