ADSM-L

Re: New M80

2001-08-08 13:33:14
Subject: Re: New M80
From: Peter Bjoern <pebjn AT WMDATASDC DOT DK>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:23:27 +0200
Hi Geoff

Four months ago we moved from and old ADSM 3.1.2.50 server on an AIX 4.2.1
system to a new
TSM 4.1 server running on a new AIX 4.3.3 system.
The old server was using a 3494 library with 3590 (non-E) SCSI attached
drives and the new server was
to use the same library with 3590E fibre channel attached drives.

We would have preferred to upgrade only one thing at a time, but we ran
into some conflicting hardware requirements
that forced us to upgrade AIX hardware, tape hardware, tape attachment
type, AIX OS level and TSM server level
in one operation !  Looking back, it seems a little hazardous, but it
really went very well and we made sure we
all the time had a possibility to revert to the old server which was left
untouched. We also did it in the Easter holiday
where we had all the time we needed without anybody needing the server for
several days.

The way we did it then was :

a) We installed the TSM server on the new system and did some test runs
with some small disk pools for a while.
     Just to make sure the 4.1 server would run OK.
     We also installed the latest Atape and atldd drivers..

b) We then stopped the new server and deleted the TSM DB and the disk
pools.
c) On the old server we did a full DB backup and shut the old server down.
d) We then ftp'ed the old database to the new server and also the old disk
storage pools and volhist file.
     You could skip movement of the disk pools if they are empty and you'll
re-create them on the new server,
     but we chose to ftp them. All in all, the data movement took about
four hours of ftp time.
e) We made sure the dsmserv.dsk file was correct.
f) We defined the 3494 library to AIX.
g) We started the TSM 4.1 server with the upgrade db option which converted
the database to the 4.1 format.
   It only took a minute or so, since I believe it only adds a couple of
tables to the DB.
h) We deleted the old library definition and drive definition from the
server, since they were not valid any longer
    and then defined the library and the new tape drives to the server.
I) I don't remember the exact sequence, bu we had to do an audit of the
library and/or a checkin of all the volumes in
the library to let the new server know they were there.
j) Since we were moving from non-E drives to E-model 3590, we changed the
state of all volumes belonging to
a storage-pook to 'read-only'. This was don to facilitate conversion from
128-track tapes to 256-track tapes.

But that was basically it, and we were now running on new drive type on a
new version of TSM on a new version
of AIX on a new type of hardware :-)

Regards

Peter