ADSM-L

Symbolic Link Restore Problem (?.....not sure)

2001-08-02 18:57:24
Subject: Symbolic Link Restore Problem (?.....not sure)
From: "Kent J. Monthei" <Kent_J_Monthei AT SBPHRD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:57:16 -0400
I searched the archives & found a lot of prior discussion about problems
restoring symbolic links, but nothing exactly matching this.

I performed a whole-filespace restore onto a new/empty disk volume.  The
command I used was 'dsmc restore <filespace> -subdir=yes' with no other
options.  I expected this to restore all/only active objects (files,
directories and links) as of the last successful backup.  However, my
client asserts that this restored some old/outdated symbolic links.  This
is on a web server where link targets are frequently updated, so this is a
critical issue.

Can anyone corroborate either of these behaviors?
      a) 'dsmc restore' restores an incorrect version of a link?
      b) 'dsmc incr' does not detect/backup a modified link?

Is my assumption correct that the command I used should have restored
all/only active objects?

Our TSM Server is Solaris 2.6 / TSM 4.1.2.  The problem client is Digital
UNIX OSF 4.0, running the ADSM v3.1.0.7 Client (out of support, I know, but
it has proven to be very stable for us).

-rsvp, thanks.......meanwhile, I'm about to initiate a new battery of tests
Kent Monthei
Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline R&D