ADSM-L

3466 Migration: ya pays ya money and ya gets nothing.

2001-08-01 19:53:16
Subject: 3466 Migration: ya pays ya money and ya gets nothing.
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:53:59 -0700
I just called IBM Level 1 ( dial-a-pray ) and asked for advice
about migrating a user population from a 3466-C00
with TSM 3.7.2.  to a 3466-C01 with TSM 4.1.x.

ANd essentially the answer was:

 "good luck, we won't help you,  ....
           unless you want to pay our consultants more money.
(P.S> but you can call us back when you get error messages.)

I paid for a maintenance contact that's suppose to go beyond
defect support but migration isn't included in that help.

So I now turn to the community for help.  HELP!  :-)

Here's the story.

  I've got a 3466-C00 at TSM 3.7.2 with 1200 users
  5 terabytes of 3590 onsite-TAPEPOOL and the same
  offsite. (backup no archive) and a 30 GB DB at
  80 percent (i.e. 25 GB used)

  I've got a 3466-C01 at TSM 4.1.x that's bolted down
  to the floor and ready to go.  With double the resources.
  THe new 3466-C01 is TOTALLY replacing the 3466-C00 for now.

My tentative plans now are:

 take the system 'off the air' for my users,
 run backup stg tapepool copypool
    backup stg diskpool copypool
 do a migration diskpool to tapepool
 (turning off collocation to expedite) down to zero.
 backup db to a 3590  (twice)
 attach the 3494 to the new system
 take db tape over to the new 3466 and do a restore db.
 dsmserv upgradedb (to adjust the 3.7.2 to be 4.1.x useable)
 return to production with a new system!!!

 I was hoping to do an UNLOAD DB and RELOAD DB but IBM
reminded me that it will take a day or two and then
its HIGHLY recommended that I also perform an AUDIT DB
which will take from 2 days to 30 days more.  Yes that's
not a type-o one month to do an audit.  So its now out of
the question although I'd love to give it a stab.

I was wondering if I should do other extras.
Should I delete the diskpool on the old system before
doing the backup db?  Maybe delete other 'customizations'???
 How receptive is a new empty system
to a db restore when its not the original system backed up??

suggestions, pointers to doc, and any other info will be
greatly appreciated.

thanks ...
              joe.faracchio
              510 642 7638