ADSM-L

Re: How to find out what data is on tape

2001-08-01 10:44:23
Subject: Re: How to find out what data is on tape
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:43:46 -0400
>Further problem is that our volume-history and
>activity-log only covers 2 weeks so in my opinion
>there is no easy way to check for tapes to be reused
>or for tapes with storage data.

Perhaps you have a backup of the volhist backup file as
specified on your VOLUMEHistory server option, which
you could restore and examine?

Your plight is why I stress that Activity Log data *must*
be kept as long as the oldest-written tapes.  Keeping it
all in the TSM db is too much bloat: we use Q Actlog
to extract old data and save it in opsys disk files,
which we store in HSM.  We have 5 years worth, which
makes it easy to find out where a tape has been.

  Richard Sims, BU